Here you will find useful resources and information to help you on your export journey.
New EU Web Portal to help you go international
There is a new portal on the European Commission website which offers practical help for European companies seeking to do business outside the EU.
- A database of support services (e.g. local chambers of commerce) who can help you start doing business with the country you are targeting;
- Links to other EU-backed sources of help/advice.
European Support for SMEs Guide
Download the ‘EU guide on it’s support programmes for SMEs’.
What is the best overseas market for my products or services?
Your business may have potential in a number of overseas markets but there are a range of factors to take into account. You should consider issues such as competition, regulatory issues, distance and the state of the economy when considering different markets. Speak to an expert such as your local UKTI International Trade Advisor for help on where to start.
What are the benefits of exporting?
Businesses which trade internationally are more likely to:
- Improve their productivity
- Achieve levels of growth not possible domestically
- Tend to survive recessions better through spreading the risk of a downturn in a single market thus increasing the resilience of their revenues and profits
- Increase the commercial lifespan of their products and services
- Increase the returns on their investment in R&D
- Improve their financial performance
- Expand the sales of existing products when the UK market is saturated
- Become more innovative in new & existing products to compete internationally
- Gain more buying power with existing and or new suppliers through higher sales, and achieve other economies of scale not possible domestically
- Create better quality jobs on average and provide more opportunities for staff development and retention
I want to start exporting but who do I speak to first?
There are a number of free support services available to first time exporters or existing exporters wishing to enter new markets. Your export experience will determine who the best contact would be. See our support pages for an idea of the different support organisations that operate in Kent.